Our laboratory focuses on the synthesis/characterization and electrochemical testing of a variety of nanostructures for metal-ion and metal-sulfur battery electrode applications, as well as photovoltaic and advanced display applications. In addition, we have also extensive experience in the synthesis of novel organometallic and coordination compounds and their use as precursors for the fabrication of thin films via chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and atomic layer deposition (ALD).
Single atoms and small clusters of Fe on multiwalled carbon nanotubes.
Maccor battery testing equipment (384 channels, 2 PCs with testing software, 2 battery backup systems, and coin cell holders
1. Al Yazdani, postdoctoral researcher, March 2023 - present.
2. Mukesh Jakhar, postdoctoral researcher, Feb. 2023 - present.
3. Jyoti Pandey, postdoctoral researcher, Feb. 2023 - present.
4. Emmanuella Anang, postdoctoral researcher, Feb. 2023 - present.
5. Siddappa Patil, postdoctoral researcher, Nov. 2010 - Feb. 2013.
6. SriLakshmi Katar, postdoctoral researcher, Oct. 2010 – March 2011; currently employed at Samsung Corp.
7. Tarun Bhardwaj, postdoctoral researcher, Sept. 2009 - Aug. 2010.
8. Robert Paddock, postdoctoral researcher (Ph.D. from Northwestern University; currently Research Scientist, Catalyst Group, Shell Chemicals; Houston, TX)
9. Jason K. Vohs, postdoctoral researcher (Ph.D. from the University of Georgia; currently Professor & Chair of Chemistry at St. Vincent College; Latrobe, PA)
S.A.M. Ph.D. Graduate Students
1. Mike Lubitz – “Properties of Alumina-Coated Elastomers via Atomic Layer Deposition”, Fall 2014 – 2017 (graduated in Spring 2017 & employed at Huntsman Corp.).
2. Phillip Medina - "Development of Porous Cathode Materials for Li-air Battery Applications", Fall 2012 – present (currently employed at IBM in San Jose, CA).
3. Aleks Antic (primary advisor; co-advisor: Veronica Barone (PHY)) – “Synthesis and Characterization of Nanomaterials as Anode Materials for Li-ion Battery Applications”, Summer 2009 – 2014 (graduated in Fall 2014 & is employed at Ivy Tech Community College, Indiana).
4. Chananate Uthaisar – (secondary advisor; primary advisor: Veronica Barone (PHY)) - “DFT studies and electrochemical testing of nanographenes for Li-ion Battery Applications”, Summer 2010 – Fall 2013 (graduated in Fall 2013 & is employed with Fraunhofer).
Masters Graduate Students
1. Vernal N. Richards, M.S. completed Spring 2004 (awarded a Ph.D. from Washington University in St. Louis in 2010 (advisor: William Buhro) & is currently a Research Scientist at Washington University, St. Louis)
2. Jeffrey Raymond, B.S. completed Spring 2004 (performed M.S. research (ABD); awarded a Ph.D. from Univ. of Michigan in 2012 (advisor: Ted Goodson) & was a postdoc at Texas A & M University (advisor: Karen Wooley))
3. Venkateswarlu Juttukonda, M.S. completed Spring 2006 (currently employed as a pharmacist at Alma, MI Hospital)
4. Angela McGuirk, M.A. completed Fall 2005 (currently lecturer in CHM at CMU)
5. Jennifer Rivet, M.A. completed Spring 2008 (currently a high school teacher in Detroit, MI)
6. David Moyses, M.A. completed Fall 2008 (currently lecturer at Mid-Michigan Community College and CMU)
7. Suneth Kalapugama, M.S. completed Fall 2010 (awarded a Ph.D. from the Univ. of Alberta)
8. Mike Lubitz, M.S. completed Fall 2011 (currently employed at Dow Chemical Co. - catalysis group)
9. Diego Gonzalez, M.S. student from the University of Costa Rica - worked in our laboratory (internship) from Dec. 2010 - March 2011; awarded a M.S. degree in 2012 and is currently working at the Center for Electrochemistry at the Univ. of Costa Rica
10. Ernesto Ballestero, M.S. student from the University of Costa Rica - internship from Sept. - Dec. 2013; earned his Ph.D. from the Technische Universitat Berlin.
11. Jonathon Clapham, Fall 2015-2018.
12. Khairul Islam, M.S. completed summer 2020 (currently in Ph.D. program at Univ. of Connecticut)
13. Adesola Adeyemi, M.S. completed Fall 2020 (currently in Ph.D. program at Univ. of North Carolina, Charlotte).
14. Adebola Ogundare, M.S. completed Summer 2021 (currently in Ph.D. program at Rice University).
15. Jordan Myers, Senior (currently working in our group)
1. Misty Bennett, B.S. Fall 2003 (graduated, completed M.A. in Psychology at CMU; currently Prof. in Dept. of Psychology at CMU)
2. Jonathan J. Brege, B.S. completed Spring 2005 (awarded a Ph.D. at Rice Univ. in 2009; currently employed as a petroleum technologist, Shell Oil Co., Houston, TX)
3. Duston O. Miller, B.S. completed Spring 2005. Currently Project Leader at MPI Research, Saginaw, MI
4. Laura M. Lentz, B.S. completed Spring 2005 (currently employed at PowderMet in Ohio)
5. Derek Schaller, B. S. completed Spring 2006 (awarded a M.D. degree from Wayne State University; currently Prof. in the College of Medicine, CMU)
6. Allan E. Brown, B.S. completed Spring 2004
7. Dan Denomme, B.S. completed Spring 2007 (awarded M.S. degree from the Univ. of Florida).
8. Laura Slusher, B.S. completed Spring 2008
9. Andrew Richardson, CHM major (worked during 2006-2007 academic year)
10. Dylan Freeland, BIO major (worked during 2007-2008 academic year)
11. Joanne Rogers, BIO major (worked during 2007-2008 academic year)
12. Beth Hartwick, BIO major (worked during 2007-2008 academic year)
13. Anne Germeroth (German exchange student for the 2006-2007 academic year)
14. Katelyn Carter, B.S. completed Spring 2008
15. Leo Nezeritis, B.S. completed Spring 2008
16. Matt Swartz, B.S. completed Spring 2008
17. Kathy Liedke, B.S. completed Spring 2008
18. Rick Denomme, B.S. completed Spring 2010 (worked during 2007-2008 academic year)
19. John Stanley, B.S. completed Spring 2010 (worked during 2008-2009 academic year)
20. Ashley Morgan, B.S. completed Spring 2009
22. Joshua Popp, B.S. completed Spring 2014 (worked during the 2010-2011 academic year)
22. Phillip Medina, B.S. completed in Spring 2012
23. Michael Stentzel, B.S. completed Spring 2012
24. Seth Dever, Senior (worked during the 2011-2012 academic year)
25. David Hicks, B.S. completed Spring 2014
26. Geoffrey Bourdon, B.S. completed Spring 2014
27. Joseph Rosin, Junior (worked during 2013-2014 academic year)
28. Zachary Grim, B.S. completed Spring 2014
29. Mike Gunnels, Senior (worked in our group during 2012-2014 academic years)
30. Mandi Shook, B.S., completed Spring 2014
31. Bradley Sugg, B.S., completed Spring 2014
32. Andrew Sumner, B.S. completed Spring 2014
33. Christian Burns, B.S. completed Spring 2016
34. Casey Weitzel, B.S. completed Spring 2016
35. Garrett Rockwell, B.S. completed Spring 2018
36. Adam Kalish, B.S. completed Spring 2018
37. Nathan Alchin, B. S. completed Fall 2023
38. Mike Anger, Senior (currently working in our group)
39. Korryn Brickner, Senior (currently working in our group)
40. Ben Seltin, Senior (currently working in our group)